Increasing engagement with real learning stories
- Inspire more colleagues to use Tesco Bank’s learning services by raising awareness of the breadth of opportunities available – not just classroom training.
- Demonstrate the value of learning through its link to Tesco Bank core purpose, career paths and business impacts.
Discovery phase and audience research led to the concept and design of the ‘Why Learning Matters To Me’ campaign. A series of short films featured colleagues telling their own personal stories, communicating the breadth and impact of Tesco Bank’s learning support, from mentoring to online resources. They screened via Tesco Bank’s internal communications channels and pop-up installations at multiple sites as part of a longer campaign of ongoing engagement, supported by a variety of communication materials.
- Threefold increase in engagement with digital learning resources
- A new, more personalised communication direction for Tesco Bank Academy, amplifying the colleague voice through storytelling
- Colleagues recognise learning as a higher priority for their work, careers and the organisation
Starting with comprehensive audience research to understand the motivations and needs of Tesco Bank colleagues, we formulated an initial story recruitment stage to ask Tesco Bank colleagues ‘why learning matters’ and act as a teaser for the full campaign. It enabled us to collect a wide range of personal stories and select the most impactful and diverse for 13 video shorts, covering different roles, business units, ways of learning and outcomes. An interview process, based on our Storytagger workflow, helped selected colleagues build confidence and add a narrative arc to make their stories even more engaging.
The campaign launch saw the films screened at pop-up installations on touch-screen displays at multiple sites and released on Tesco Bank’s internal communications channels, including Academy TV and Academy Online via a campaign microsite. We also supported the campaign with messaging and a variety of communication materials including leaflets, email templates, online banners and more.
Head of Colleague Product, Tesco Bank
Colleague video stories include:
- How learning at Tesco Bank inspired me to write a song
- How leadership skills have transformed the way I work
- What I learned from the Graduate Programme
- What I’ve learned from others I now give back
- How coaching skills are helping me to develop others
- What I’ve learned in my first year at Tesco Bank
Communication strategy and collateral
A campaign strategy – messaging, brand and assets – to help internal teams easily promote the content.
Story capture and production
Story recruitment strategy, interview framework and coaching, based on Storytagger, to help Tesco Bank capture engaging, authentic and relevant experiences from a diverse colleague group.
Pop-up interactive installation took stories into colleague spaces
To reach all colleagues, we developed a simple touring pop-up interactive installation that was easy to set up in canteens and public spaces across Tesco Bank’s three primary office locations.
Because our approach focussed on uncovering real learning stories, colleagues were able to identify directly with the impact learning can have on their work and career goals. Real stories challenged perceptions of what colleagues could achieve through learning more powerfully than a brochure or LMS listing.
Diversity and great storytelling
From a production perspective, using a story matrix made sure we targeted a diverse audience. Coaching support and our Storytagger interview framework helped our storytellers perform at their best in front of the camera.